1.22.2009

here we go steelers, here we go . . . pittsburgh's going to the superbowl

i might have just spent half an hour watching NFL teams' fight song videos on youtube.

this is something i consider really important. it may be only four years old, but the steelers anthem is kind of a big deal. when the original came out, they played it every day on the radio morning show i listened to. they're probably playing this year's version on outdoor speakers in the strip right now. it fits the steelers and it fits pittsburgh. so, naturally, i expect great things from other teams' songs as well.

aside from being, yeah, blatantly racist, the redskins' is really adorable. i mean that. (see #1)

the eagles' is lame. completely independent of the bitterness sown by hate messages on my white board through half of college and four years of being trapped in eastern PA, i really just don't like it. it's boring. maybe if it was less annoying i'd hate the team a little less. probably not... but maybe.
(see #2)

the cardinals seem to have a strange rap song. at least, that's all i could find on youtube. it's just kind of socially awkward (see #3). hopefully it's not their real fight song, or maybe they don't have one, or maybe this really is it and it just sounds better in a stadium?

the ravens have... nothing consistent. there was a rap video, slightly scarier than the cardinals', and then something that sounded like it might once have been a song, but there are drunk men trying to sing along to it and really just yelling over bits and pieces. (see #4)

i don't know. i'm uncomfortable with the latter three (really, the redskins' is very cute) because i can't picture a massive crowd of beer-guzzling, terrible towel-waving, decked-out yinzers shouting it out. that's all our "song" is.

i do miss the line about one for the thumb, but it's a small price to pay for actually getting it.

anyway, here's to XLIII (please note: polamalu's number) and number six on the way.




--------------------------------------------------------------------------

#1


#2


#3


#4


--------------------------------------------------------------------------

one bird down, one to go.

1 comment:

  1. Susan, okay. I've had the urge to respond to basically every one of your posts, but yada, yada, yada I get busy (and/or lazy) and don't.

    However, I can not restrain myself from commenting on your disgust of the Eagle's fight song (which I slightly feel was to provoke me into finally commenting).

    Okay, so I listened to your precious "Here We Go, Steelers", and while it was kinda cute, I found it to be rather boring. It doesn't really make me think of football, but The J. Geils Band instead.

    "Hit'em low, hit'em hiiigghh!" on the other hand really gets me in the mood to see a bunch of huge men run, tackle, and through a ball around.

    I'll stop here, simply because I'm not in the Superbowl so there is some limit to how much shit I can talk.

    But watch out, those Cardinals are pretty wild.

    Kyle

    PS: So help me God if that song is on my mix...

    ReplyDelete